Christopher decided to queue up his 6 hour bike ride on Saturday morning. ERGO, I was set off to make my truffle pasta for Friday night’s dinner. Good carb loading, no?
Pasta with Sauteed Mushrooms & Truffle Butter
1/2 lb short-cut pasta, such as cavatelli, mezze penne, or bowtie
1 pint cremini mushrooms, sliced
½ pound oyster or shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 medium yellow onion, minced
1 bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
Salt & Pepper
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion, season with salt and pepper. Let soften in the pan for 7-8 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms and a touch more olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
5. When mushrooms are golden brown, there will be caramelized bits on the bottom of the pan (sucs in French). Pour in ½ cup of good white wine to deglaze the pan. Cook down the wine until only one tablespoon has remained.
6. Add cooked pasta directly into mushroom mix. Toss in ¼-½ cup of truffle butter, depending on how much truffle flavor you like, until melted through. Add in parsley and Pecorino and toss to combine. Season to taste.
**I used (and highly recommend!) daRosario Organic Black Truffle Butter.