Oh, hi. I’ve returned.
I’m taking my time in writing my marathon recap as there was much to say about the most difficult 26.2 miles I’ve ever endured, so all of you two readers will have to wait (hi, Mom and Dad!).
The one thing I’ll say about the trip is this: I’m extremely proud of our Runner Army members who
slogged powered through the hills in Connemara. All members survived, no bones were broken, and much alcohol was imbibed. Twas a tough day, and one not soon forgotten.
In the meantime, let us enjoy this spring weather that we’re finally experiencing! (Fingers crossed to those traveling to Beantown this weekend that the weather holds out for Marathon Monday.)
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to tend to my coffee maker, because that’s what breaks while I’m on vacation. Woof.
Spring Vegetable Risotto
1 med. shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 medium carrots, quartered and diced
1 large zucchini squash, diced
2-3 Tbsps. basil, en chiffonade
1 cup arborio rice
1 cup white wine
Extra-virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper
1. In small pot, heat chicken stock over low flame.
2. In medium saucepan, sweat shallot 10-15 minutes until soft and slightly golden in color. Add garlic; sauté a few minutes more. Season with salt. Stir in rice.
3. Deglaze pan with white wine, bringing up brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce wine to a Tablespoon of liquid.
4. Starting with one cup at a time, add chicken stock and cook over medium-low heat. Continue to add cup by cup until rice is tender and al dente, about 20-30 minutes. Stir in Parmesan; season with salt and pepper.
5. Meanwhile, prepare veg: Heat olive oil in large saute pan over medium heat. Add carrots, saute for 3-4 minutes until soft. Add zucchini; sauté until golden, about 7-9 minutes. Toss in peas and basil; season with salt and pepper; reserve.
6. To serve, scoop risotto in bowl; top with veg mix and more Parmesan if desired.
Fun fact: Vegetables cut in the same size ensure a same cooking time. That’s right, there’s some thought and knowledge involved in cookery.