So, here we are. The weekend of my first half marathon of 2013 has arrived. I’ll be honest, I’m a bit nervous. I’ve got those race jitters and fear that I’ll conduct some kind of virus on my flight. Also, the race begins at 6 a.m., which I don’t think is the optimal time for my legs to start moving at half marathon pace.
So, let the carb loading begin.
GASPARILLA HALF MARATHON, HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Ravioli with Spinach/Leeks/Artichokes
½ medium white onion, minced
1 large leek, cleaned, halved, and thinly sliced (white parts only)
1 lb. baby spinach, cleaned and dried
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can artichokes, drained, rinsed, and chopped
16 oz. fresh ricotta cheese
1 package refrigerated wonton wrappers
salt & pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil
butter, for serving
Parmigiano-Reggiano, for serving
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a gentle boil.
2. Add oil to large nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and leek; sweat for 10 minutes. Add garlic; sauté for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Add spinach in batches; fold to combine. Add artichokes; season with salt and pepper; reserve.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine ricotta and vegetable mixture. Season to taste.
4. Assemble ravioli: working in batches, lay out wonton wrappers, and place 1 oz. filling slightly off-center in the middle of wrapper. Wet fingertip with water and run along entire edge of wonton. Fold in half and seal edges shut. Your wonton should be in the shape of a triangle.
5. Drop 6-8 raviolis in water; cook for 6-7 minutes or until al dente. Transfer to bowl; toss with butter; grate with Parmigiano; season with freshly cracked pepper; serve.