That’s what it was one fateful night after an attempted speed workout in 19 degree weather (aka failboat). Risotto can be a fickle thing, but with a little love, can turn into quite the outrageous date night meal—especially during the winter months. And during training season.
And speaking of which, why not throw in some protein on top them-there carbs?
Risotto with Asparagus/Peas/Prosciutto/Fried Egg
1 cup arborio rice
½ yellow onion, diced
½ bundle of asparagus, diced into 1-2 inch cubes
1 cup frozen peas
6 oz. prosciutto, cut into ¼ inch cubes
4 cups chicken stock
⅓ cup white wine
¾ cup Parmesan, grated
Salt & pepper
1. In small pot, heat chicken stock over low flame.
2. In medium sauce pan, sweat onion 10 minutes, until soft and slightly golden in color. Season with salt.
3. Pour in white wine and stir, bringing up brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce white wine to tablespoon.
4. Pour in rice, stir to combine. One cup at a time, add chicken stock and cook over medium heat. Continue to add cup by cup until rice is tender and al dente, about 20-30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in small skillet. Add prosciutto and brown five minutes. Add asparagus and cook for 10 minutes until golden and tender. Season with salt and pepper.
6. When rice is al dente, stir in Parmesan and peas. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside while keeping warm.
7. In small saute pan, heat butter over medium heat. Crack egg into skillet, one at a time, and cook sunny side up, seasoning with salt and pepper.
8. Begin plating. Scoop risotto into two bowls, and top with asparagus/prosciutto mix. After eggs are cooked, place on top of risotto mix. Serve it up, yo.