So, His Lordship‘s Ironman is next weekend (FINALLY!). Ergo, we’ve done our part in feasting on high carbohydrate meals over the past few weekends with his five hour bike rides/2 hour run brick workouts (ew).
And just because I’m not doing any of that crap doesn’t mean I don’t like a heaping bowl of pasta for dinner. I’m sorry I’m not sorry.
Pasta with Mushrooms/Caramelized Onions/Goat Cheese
1 lb. short cut pasta
1 lb. mixed wild mushrooms (hen of the woods, enoki, etc.)
½ large yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
Extra-virgin olive oil
black pepper, freshly cracked
1. Bring a large stockpot of salted water to a rolling boil.
2. In a sauté pan set over low heat, add onion with 2 to 3 Tbsps. olive oil; season with salt. Cook until soft and translucent in color, about 25 minutes. Raise heat to medium and cook until golden brown and sweet to taste, 10 to 15 more minutes. Transfer to a bowl and reserve.
3. When water has reached boil, add pasta and cook to al dente according to package directions.
4. While pasta is cooking, heat 2 Tbsps. olive oil over medium heat; add mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Sauté until golden; 5-7 minutes.
5. When pasta is done cooking, transfer to mushroom mix in sauté pan. Add caramelized onions and goat cheese; toss to combine. Season to taste; serve!